Basil is a versatile herb that can be used in many different dishes. However, it is a delicate herb and can easily become bruised or damaged. If it is not stored properly, it will only last for a short time.
How Store Basil?
Basil can be stored in a cool, dark, and dry place for up to six months. For a period of three months, it can be frozen. The best way to store Basil is to keep it in a glass or jar of water on your countertop. You can also store it in the fridge, but it will only last a few days.
This blog post will show you how to store Basil properly with tips and tricks. Find out more by reading on.
See Also: How to Harvest Basil?
Why store Basil?
Herbs like basil have many uses in cooking. It has a strong flavor and can be used fresh or dried. However, Basil is a delicate herb, so it’s important to know how to store it properly to keep it fresh.
There are a few reasons why you should store Basil:
- Basil contains high levels of antioxidants. These antioxidants can help protect your body against free radicals, damaging cells and leading to disease.
- Storing Basil helps to preserve its flavor. When you store Basil properly, it will retain its flavor for longer periods.
- Storing Basil can help to keep it from drying out.
When herbs dry out, they become less potent, and their flavor diminishes. Storing Basil in a moisture-rich environment can help keep it from drying out and losing its flavor. When storing Basil, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- First, make sure that the leaves are completely dry before storing them. If the leaves are wet, they will quickly rot and become unusable.
- Second, store Basil in a dark, cool place using an airtight container. A fridge is ideal for storage as long as the container is not placed directly on the shelves where it will be exposed to light.
- Third, if you plan on using the Basil within a week or two, you can store it in a glass of water on your countertop. Ensure that the water is changed every couple of days.
How to store fresh Basil?
Basil is a delicate herb that should be stored properly to maintain its flavor and freshness. Here are some tips on how to store fresh Basil:
- Cool, dark conditions are ideal for storing basil.
- Wait to wash Basil until you are ready to use it.
- Wrap Basil loosely in a paper towel or place it in a perforated plastic bag before storing it in the refrigerator.
- Fresh Basil can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Tips for storing Basil
If you’re lucky enough to have a bumper crop of Basil or bought too much at the market, make sure to use it wisely! Here are some tips for storing Basil to stay fresh and flavorful.
- Cool, dark conditions are ideal for storing basil. A fridge is ideal, but a dark cupboard will do if you don’t have one.
- Wrap the Basil loosely in a damp paper towel or kitchen towel before placing it in a container. This will help to keep the leaves from drying out.
- Ensure the container has good ventilation, so the Basil doesn’t get too humid. A plastic bag with small holes punched in it will work well.
- Check on the Basil regularly and use it as soon as possible for the best flavor.
How long does Basil last in storage?
Herbs like basil have a short shelf life due to their delicate nature. When stored properly, however, it can last up to two weeks. Here are some tips for storing Basil:
- Wash the basil leaves and allow them to dry completely before storage.
- Place the Basil in a plastic bag with the stem side down.
- Store the Basil in the refrigerator, in a spot that is not too cold or too moist.
- Check on the Basil regularly, and remove any leaves that have wilted or turned brown.
How long will Basil keep in olive oil?
Herbs like basil have a short shelf life because they are delicate. Even when stored properly, it will only last for a few days. However, you can extend its shelf life by keeping it in olive oil.
To store Basil in olive oil:
- Start trimming the stems and discarding any yellow or wilted leaves.
- Place the Basil in a clean jar or container and cover it with olive oil.
- Make sure the leaves are completely submerged in the oil.
- Tightly seal the jar or container and store it in the refrigerator.
Basil stored in this way will last for several weeks, although the flavor will slowly decline after about 10 days.
When ready to use the Basil, remove it from the oil and discard any leaves that have become discolored or mushy.
In conclusion, With just a little care, you can store Basil for several weeks and enjoy its fresh flavor in all your favorite dishes.
Basil is a delicate herb, so it’s important to handle it carefully and keep it out of direct sunlight.
However, Basil will stay fresh for up to two weeks when stored properly. So go ahead and stock up on this delicious herb!
Read Also: What is Basil?