Nutmeg is a warm, aromatic spice that is commonly used in sweet and savory dishes. It has a slightly sweet and slightly bitter taste, and its flavor can range from warm and earthy to sweet and pungent, depending on the amount used.
What Does Nutmeg Go With?
Nutmeg goes great with a variety of foods, such as potatoes, chicken, and even ice cream. It can also be used in baking recipes, such as bread, cake, or pie crusts.
While nutmeg is often associated with sweet dishes, it can also be used to add depth and warmth to savory dishes.
So, what does nutmeg go with it? Here’s a comprehensive guide to the best pairings for nutmeg. Keep reading to learn more.
See Also: Can I Use Nutmeg Instead of Vanilla?
What Does Nutmeg Go With? – Guide
Nutmeg pairs well with many sweet dishes, drinks, desserts, soups, and stews. Here is a complete guide:
One of the most common uses for nutmeg is in sweet dishes, such as cakes, pies, and other baked goods. Nutmeg adds a warm, sweet, and slightly spicy flavor to these dishes and pairs well with other sweet spices, such as cinnamon, allspice, and cloves.
Some sweet dishes that go well with nutmeg include:
- Apple pie
- Carrot cake
- Cinnamon rolls
- Pecan pie
- Pumpkin pie
- Sweet potato casserole
Soups and Stews
Nutmeg can also be used to add depth and warmth to soups and stews. Its slightly sweet and slightly bitter flavor pairs well with savory ingredients, such as vegetables, meats, and beans.
Some soups and stews that go well with nutmeg include:
- Butternut squash soup
- Beef stew
- Carrot and lentil soup
- French onion soup
- Split pea soup
In addition to soups and stews, nutmeg can also be used to add depth and warmth to a variety of savory dishes. It pairs well with rich, savory ingredients, such as cheese, cream, and butter.
Some savory dishes that go well with nutmeg include:
- Béchamel sauce
- Carbonara pasta
- Grilled cheese sandwiches
- Mashed potatoes
- Scalloped potatoes
- Spinach and cheese quiche
Nutmeg is also a common ingredient in hot drinks, such as coffee, tea, and hot cocoa. Its warm, sweet, and slightly spicy flavor pairs well with sweet and creamy flavors.
Some drinks that go well with nutmeg include:
- Hot cocoa
- Spiced apple cider
- Spiced latte
- Spiced tea
In addition to baked goods, nutmeg can also be used in a variety of desserts, such as ice cream, puddings, and custards. Its warm, sweet, and slightly spicy flavor pairs well with sweet and creamy ingredients.
Some desserts that go well with nutmeg include:
- Apple Crisp
- Crème brûlée
- Rice pudding
- Vanilla bean ice cream
What Flavors Pair Well with Nutmeg?
Nutmeg pairs well with a wide range of flavors, both sweet and savory. Some flavors that go well with nutmeg include:
- Sweet flavors: Nutmeg has a slightly sweet and slightly spicy flavor, so it pairs well with other sweet flavors, such as honey, maple syrup, and brown sugar. It is also commonly used in conjunction with other sweet spices, such as cinnamon, allspice, and cloves.
- Savory flavors: Nutmeg pairs well with savory ingredients, such as cheese, cream, and butter. It can be used to add depth and warmth to soups, stews, and other savory dishes.
- Citrus flavors: Nutmeg pairs well with citrus flavors, such as lemon and orange. It can be used to add depth and warmth to citrus-flavored desserts, such as lemon bars and orange scones.
- Fruits: Nutmeg pairs well with a variety of fruits, such as apples, pears, and peaches. It is commonly used in fruit pies, crisps, and other baked goods.
- Nuts: Nutmeg pairs well with nuts, such as almonds, pecans, and walnuts. It is often used in nut-based desserts, such as pecan pie and almond cake.
- Alcoholic beverages: Nutmeg pairs well with certain alcoholic beverages, such as brandy, rum, and whiskey. It is commonly used in cocktails and other mixed drinks, as well as in hot drinks, such as eggnog.
In conclusion, nutmeg is a versatile spice that pairs well with a wide range of sweet and savory dishes. Its warm, sweet, and slightly spicy flavor adds depth and warmth to a variety of dishes, from soups and stews to baked goods and desserts.
Whether you’re looking to add a little warmth to your favorite soup or a little depth to your favorite cake, nutmeg is a great spice to have on hand. So, these are the dishes that nutmeg goes with.
Read Also: How to Use Nutmeg Powder?
I am an accomplished tech writer with a passion for simplifying complex technology concepts. With a background in Tech, James has dedicated their career to making the intricacies of the digital world accessible to a broad audience.